Sunday, June 14, 2009

One door closes, another one opens (I hope)

Well, here I am sitting on the couch with a warm laptop computer on my lap, reflecting on how this is my last Sunday afternoon here in the States for the next little while. In fact, it is one of the last times I'll ever get to sit on this couch under the context of this being "my" apartment, due to the fact that I'm moving out this week.

I don't think this is the time or place to have a "year in review" kind of thing, but I would like to say that living here in Santa Barbara #205 has been quite a trip. I've just seen what is probably the last of most of the people from this ward I've been in, and I would like to say here what I told my roommate Paul just this morning. We all know that irony seems to play a big part in all our lives, but I find it truly ironic that it's only as I'm leaving this ward, this community, this group of similarly-situation-ed people, that I'm beginning to have things that I wanted all along. For example, I didn't feel a whole lot of social outreach from the ward, or simply put, I didn't sense any Mr. Rogers-esque friendliness from just about anyone, until now. As a rule, the girls of the ward seemed to ignore me, until now. In general, "family home evening" was a consistent disappointment, until now. I could go on an on.

Yes I know that perhaps a lot of this may come from what was summed up well in some song about a parking lot, "Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you got 'til it's gone?" Yes I know that I may have just changed my attitude about things and I may have just started trying harder (and I may have lost ten pounds), but NONETHELESS THINGS ARE NOT AS THEY ONCE WERE and I can't help but laugh as I realize that yes, I'm going to miss it.

Then again, that brings up the original post title, which can basically be summed up as, "I know that things are only going to get better, but I see how they could have been improved in the past." Then again, hindsight is 20-20. Or better than that, really.

No comments: